Thursday, April 10, 2014

Finished ceramics!

Here are the pictures of my finished sugar bowl. There were some flaws from the clear coat and firing (one spot even looked a bit "overcooked") but those can happen to any piece and there weren't any flaws on my husband's piece. All in all, I will definitely go back. This only cost me $12 to make and that includes using a couple special glazes!

First up, here is a shot of the mermaid's face - it was hard to get a good shot because I was taking the pics late in the afternoon (as an aside, this is the only spot in our room that gets decent light. You can see the handmade cat post to the left).

I always decorate the bottom of my ceramics, even if it is something simple. I was disappointed that the fish got dinged up, but it still turned out pretty neat.

I added little goldfish to the handles...

I used a crystal glaze on the inside. When you paint it there are these chunks of "crystal" in the main color that melt when fired so you get this awesome oil-in-water effect. They come in a bunch of colors, too. 

Surprise! A little mer-cat under the lid :). The bubbles in the clear glaze are kind of obvious so I might use my Dremel to file them down a bit.

All in all it was a ton of fun and we will definitely go back to the Coffee Shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment