Saturday, April 5, 2014

Work in progress: it's a hat!

My knitting needles showed up before my new yarn so I did what any decent knitter would do: I frogged a project I wasn't happy with and started making something new! This was a cowl that I crocheted about a year ago and never really liked - it was too stiff and the pattern didn't really show off the colors of the yarn. The yarn was a present from a dear friend who honeymooned in New Zealand - she brought back this lovely soft yarn for me in a colorway that really goes with my wardrobe. I wear a lot of purple :)

This pattern is Wendy Neal's Flower Bud Beanie (the pattern is available on Ravelry). It is a loose-knit lace pattern with a lot of stretch. I added a bit of ribbing at the bottom because I have a huge head and wanted to make sure it fits (it only comes in one size). 

Here you can see a better shot of my "stitch marker" (an earring), and, yes, I know I'm not using it correctly but I don't really use them very often. 
The needles are ChiaoGoo Lace circulars. I LOVE these needles. Once I learned Magic-Loop knitting I started looking for needles that would have a flexible cord and work with my style of knitting. For reference, I knit Continental style (unlike most Americans) and I tend to knit very tightly. The ChiaoGoos really loosen up my knitting and the points are great for lace patterns. 

This hat is just for me :) but I am going to start on presents for others after this project. Find me on Ravelry.com, username: Seropdo.

No comments:

Post a Comment